Community forums

[CLEAN] tasteless and insulting name

11 Oct 2015 14:16
KMS, i understand ur idea. But i think that empty thought Breivik as a seriel killer as he could use "Jack the ripper" or "Bundy". it was just a fps joke. Certainly a bad joke. But just dark humour, without political references. Was it?

I think you are over reacting both.
11 Oct 2015 14:19
i can make a joke about this but i am not gonna do that :whistle:
11 Oct 2015 14:52 | Last edit: 11 Oct 2015 14:55
well no it was not u who did comparison sry but still its about someone u think should change name cause u dont like it cause u know the story behind it, but i dont like people named Claus cause my GF was raped by one, then i should say to those by that name to change it cause the person who have that name is a rapist or ?? then u can say its not the same cause Breivik killed more and was more known well i did not know him before i got told in here and yes i bring my name up cause then if someone who know the story behind that name and what he have don like many others who have names have don too then if they dont like my name they should ask me to change it ?? does that put it into another thread or another point of view

(the it's-just-a-game card doesn't work well here) well i did not use that card. and i do not hope u connect it to the real world or any does and begin to shoot real people cause then they should not play violent games, cause it is only a game but a online game so we must respect each other = follow server rules and if not a person wanted to be hated by all then ofc. talk and be nice to people but its not a must

(if you still insist you are using a mass murders name, who slaugthered inoccent people, well then you might take a moment re-think your name choice, change the name or ban yourself.)
well i use a name who did slaugthered people some were probably innocent but many did that in that time but there have been a mass murder named karl to so now u will change name or ???

Mass murderer Karl Jäger
11 Oct 2015 14:53
Oh noez, he used "Breivik" alias! It is a name of mass mu... Wait, what?

www.bardbreivik.no/

He's not looks like a mass murderer. What now? Your argument is invalid.

Please, be serious. Did Empty (as Breivik) said "going to make Utoya in your base, u blue motherfuckers" or something like that? Probably not.
11 Oct 2015 15:20
Can we use any name we want or are there some that are forbidden?
11 Oct 2015 15:23
Hey by the way...

My real surname is Niewiadomski.
Niewiadmski is/was also the real surname of a guy that killed polish president Gabriel Narutowicz in December 1922.
If i use my real surname as my nickname, you will get butthurt because im using a name of a politian murder?

"Karol" is the name of a fucker who raped a girl whom i knew.
Am i getting butthurt about you using a nickname which is very simmilar (or actually the same after u translate it to german)?

Need more examples? Here:
You should censor the Barbie dolls too. Why? Cause there did exist some nazi idiot with a name "Barbie":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Barbie

Ive said it like 2 or 3 times, ill say it again:
Its just a nickname. If you cant stand people using nicknames which you find stupid, or you dont like, you can just terminate your ISP contract. Or you can write to NSA and ask them to spy harder on people who use nicknames which you dont like. Good luck with that.
11 Oct 2015 15:35
Too many words from both sides !
Simple thing: is the name against the server rules or not?
No, it is not!

Starting to punish players for their names is starting censorship in our game, think about.
In USA or India for example none would care about a name like Hitler or Breivik. And this is an international community , never forget this!

End of story :angry:
11 Oct 2015 16:41
this is not a discussion about personal trauma. i was no directly affected by what Breivek did, still i feel it's wrong to use a name like that.
i know what this guy did and what he is sitting in jail for now and supposedly the rest of his life. so we got facts here as distinct from a king in the ninth century.
this guy is a public figure. what he did is tied to his name. the problem is not the name itself but what it stands for today. by chosing his name you are setting a reference to what he did (knowingly or not does not matter, you can't control it anyway). since we are all playing a shooting game the name is set into a specific and problematic context. the goal of the game is to score kills and this is where it's starting to get ugly. you don't choose a name you hate and even if you do, your character still goes by that name, this name becomes your alter-ego. you are addressed by it and you refer to yourself as this person/ name, when writing in chat. that's something the game mechanics demand and enforce.
interesting enough, to some people (e.g. empty) it seems to be appealing to blend horrible crimes with ones skills in a shooting game. the goal of the game seems to legitimize praising Breivik for killing a lot of people. what you are trying to do, if you use a name like that, is cash in on this guys reputation and what he stands for. you choose a name like that because it has a meaning in public. this is not about me being offended by the name but about another player's attempt to evoke any/a certain reaction. it's a cheap attempt to make an impression in-game, in the worst way possible (the best would be to play the game).
this blending of a fps and tragic events that cost the lives of human beings is tastless and belittle those murders. (i personally think allowing something like this to happen is actually negligent.) that's one of the reasons fps-players are assumed to be a bunch of psychotic maniacs in the eye of the public.

btw. since somebody brought it up:
the smart-ass move to claim there are others with said name does not change that connection. since this is a fps game there is an obvious connection to Andres Behring Breivik (pax is calling it dark humor). the attempt to state "hey, i am not that one." simply does not work. this is what's called "potentially offensive" on most servers. you risk to be mixed up with this very person. if, by any means, you did not know who Breivik is, you know now, since i told you.
there is no shame in not knowing, who this guy is, it all comes down to how you react, when you are aware of who he is. being ignorant about it is probably the worst way to handle a situation like that.
11 Oct 2015 16:53
i do understand that you need to find other examples to downplay what you did.

still the only thing up for discussion is what you did, i started a thread because i think what you did was wrong.

i don't want to dicuss contingencies but an actual situation.

just don't use offesive, potentially offensive names or encourge others to do so by setting an example as an admin, and everything is fine.

---

the great thing about server rules is that they are man-made and can be changed.
11 Oct 2015 17:12
eart popcorn and enjoy a nice fight B)