Community forums

Survey/proposal: New TDM server

# 1
06 Feb 2018 20:16
Hello,

The gameplay has gone way downhill on Eagle to what it used to be some years ago. In other words, the DN server has become mostly unplayable for anyone who doesn't camp excessively, use HK nade launchers or otherwise nades. (these are basically the only things needed to have a somewhat good score nowadays)

My proposal is that we make another TDM server where camping is frowned upon and thus not allowed. Any sign of heavy camping would get you banned instantly. Tacs and HK nade launchers are disabled from the server. The server would also have a map rotation with carefully selected maps, say max 20 min / map.

I have been checking the chat whenever in-game, and some and if not most seem to have had enough of the heavy camping taking place on the Eagle server. Massive use of HK nade launcher makes the screen shake uncontrollably which equals almost instant death.
I have said it before and I say it again. I took a 2 year long break from the game and after 2 years away I still see the same players camping in the same spots with the same weapon..

So.. please take a moment to give your two cents on this. I have a feeling this could get some support from most of you :)
# 2
06 Feb 2018 21:53
I can only state DN Eagle has consistently been in the top 5 of the 184 servers listed on gametracker.com for the last five years. If you want a successful server closely analyze the top 10 servers to learn what is successful. As far as what some call camping others see it as sniping and are quite good at it. If one can't take out a camping sniper then he needs to learn to play differently. Oddly, the ones that whine about camping are generally some of the best players. It's relatively easy to avoid the HK nade and I've yet to see a “nader” with with a good score.

Before I came to DN Eagle I played on a No Tac server. We rarely had over five players at a given time. No Tac servers are fun but not favored by many and I don't think one stands a chance of being successful. The consistently number one server is Fallin Angels, it is CTF, all weapons allowed and Tacs are available. As with all CTF maps camping and SK are part of the game. Of the top 10 servers six are CTF, three TDM and one Bomb. Three are American, three are German, two are Japanese, one French and one United Kingdom. The other two TDM servers allow camping, any weapon and Tacs can be used and SK is allowed.

If I were to change DN Eagle I would allow Spawn Killing or set it so Spawn Killers die when they do it. Other than that I would leave Eagle alone

If you want a new successful TDM server pattern it after Ares.Confluviam Global which was highly successful. It was TDM, rotated four maps and if you SK you died. The only downside I saw of this server it was not monitored much.
# 3
06 Feb 2018 22:12
Another TDM server would be nice! Maybe create a kind of survey like strawpoll on discord with the question "do you like another TDM server?" and "which map do you suggest?" for a good result.

About camping...ye I know very much about campin. ;) But everyone think different about campin...other player cry about camp when the opponent stay for few seconds on the same place and in my eyes it isn't camp!. Yes sometimes I stay for more than 10 seconds on the same place and ofc for me it's campin.

I like the idea of Gramps - "They die if they enter the spawn/kill anyone in spawn".
# 4
06 Feb 2018 22:34 | Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 22:37
Well, I think it would be fun to start another server. Rotate TDM, Survivor, CTF and Bomb. Add extra rule about pursuing objective.. This could be used to dissuade camping. Maybe pick 2 or 3 maps per game type.
# 5
07 Feb 2018 04:08 | Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 05:33
I will be very blunt here, so I apologize ahead if I happen to offend anyone.

Why is it that whenever this subject is brought up, statistics are the first to be named? I honesty don't care about these, I don't care about who has the biggest dick. I just want a playable server, successful or not.

Is it not camping when 30 out of 32 players sit somewhere in the map with an sr8 or psg? Blocking every freaking exit on that map so other players cannot get out? Try avoid a HK nade only to get killed by an sr8. Get past one camper only to get killed by the next one. Scuba divers in the water with their G36, etc.. Camping has become a first resort, and most new players grab the sr8 or the psg as their first weapon.. as a monkey see, monkey do type of thing. (I'm happy that the game gets new players, so don't understand me wrong here.)

As mentioned here, most good/best players complain about camping - yes that is true. The current game state on Eagle drives them away, and I'm sad to say I'm leaning towards that too.. but I have a feeling that adding another TDM with a controlled environment could get some of the good players back. I would at least play there...

edit: spelling
# 6
07 Feb 2018 10:05
agree with you
# 7
07 Feb 2018 14:29
There's no ending/winning/losing in our server. If we cap the win limit within 500 then there will be a rush to play faster thus reducing excessive camping. 15000 is impossible to achieve.

Another server sounds fun. And fully agree to your time limit / win point limiting.
# 8
07 Feb 2018 17:45
OK, some of my thoughts about this:

Gameplay/Server/Etc
- I think Eagle is unique in the sense that it's a very big map. We can camp, rush and everything in between. Only map that compares is Intermodal, imo.
- The statistics were brought up, I think, to try and show that the players seem to like Eagle. Eagle averaged 14 players last month, enough to be the highest euro server (tied with Sexy's) and only behind FA, which is a US east coast server and as so can capture both US and Euro players, something we also can but to a lesser degree.
- The gameplay is dictated by the players, and their respective level. At anytime, we have less than 5/7 players that we can call "medium-high skilled". This as an effect on gameplay, weapon usage, camping, etc. If we had 20 medium-high skilled players at the same time on Eagle, the gameplay would be different.
- Reguarding the last point, it might be usefull to understand that there will "never" be that amount of medium-high skilled players on eagle at the same time. Eagle is just not built for that and besides there aren't that many players still active.
- I won't even go into the camping debate... Impossible to "police", I think. Imagine 25 players and 1 admin trying to find the campers. Would he ban every sr8/psg/g36 user? No. So, how would we define what is camping and what isn't?...

About new server:
- I'm all for it, just don't make it TDM nor TS. TDM would be direct competition to Eagle (unless it's a rotation of maps very different from Eagle) and the other is, really, just a niche gameplay right now (we already had an exerience with TS...). Since Bomb usually doesn't atract many players, I think the only mode that makes sense is CTF.
- Make it a rotation of small maps with a small-ish cap limit. And only 18 slots or something like that.
# 9
07 Feb 2018 17:54
I for one am not offended, I see this as an exchange of ideas and opinions. Statistics are important, I used statistics to show what a successful server looked like. In my previous post I pointed out TDM servers can be successful as three of the top ten on gametracker.com are TDM. The driving statistic for gametracker.com is “number of players.” I'm not against a DN TDM server, I would like to see it be successful though. Some maps are "attack" maps where camping/sniping are virtually impossible, map selection may be the best way to control camping/sniping. I will point out, it was statistics, “lack of players”, as to why the DN TS server was a failure in 2015.

DN Eagle attracts a lot of inexperienced players and we learn to guide them through the game. Eagle is inherently a sniper map, then there is water and there are those waiting to kill you. I like to snipe but when on blue team I mostly play in the attack mode, especially to kill snipers. Either ban sniping or stop the complaining about it, it turns many players off. I fear changing DN Eagle will lead to it's demise.

I will point out many of a “good/best players” have no problem camping on the roof and shooting players entering Betok Von Sloths. Or, is it game play?

Bottom line, I would like to see a successful DN TDM server packed with players.
07 Feb 2018 17:57 | Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 18:00
Mazfer - Saw your post after I posted. Very good valid points. Snipers/campers save many a CTF game.