Community forums

make water tacs a bannable offense. its a glitch already.

# 1
17 Mar 2017 21:00
Im pretty sure everyone (who is important. :P) knows what im talking about, but let me quickly describe it anyways: You get tacs, you get a automatic rifle (preferably a g36) and jump into the river. Now you can see all those players on the bridges by their outlines.

IMO water tac glitching is a lot worse than the cable car one. There is pretty much no counter to it, and it covers virtually all the important parts of the map. On Eagle most of the fighting usually takes place around the village, ( with DN enforcing the village square and loading yard spawns, its west village all the time). This makes tac camping in water pretty damn OP, even if you compare it to the bulletproof fence (ITS NOT GLASS), since that one at least only covers up a small portion of the map, and can be countered by either angles or simply being faster (which is why i personally dont mind this glitch, if a noob in it kills me, i just suck. :P).

Sure, cable car glitch is one sided for red team, but lets face it. We are talking TDM here. teams aren't really a thing.

So yeah, that about sums it up, its a glitch, it should be banned. The alternative to "fix this" would either be disabling tacs, or at least enabling FF (hey, fk those low lvl tacs that just shoot anything), but i dont really see that happening, for multuple reasons... :P
# 2
18 Mar 2017 00:43
Hello Iye,

About the tacs, I think you pretty much answered your own post. One solution would be to disable tacs on the server. I personally think this is too strong an action, overkill. But we can always think about it. Enabling FF isn't a better solution, since a big part of the everyday players don't have the skill to deal with that. In short, it would be a TK festival.

I think I understand your frustation. It's not fun to be killed by someone who is just swiming around with tacs, not really knowing what they are doing and just exploiting an advantage. So, if we don't disable tacs and if we can't enable FF... Well, there's at least one counter to it, you can always grab some tacs and go after them ;) (not trying to be an ass, just covering all the bases).

About the fence glitch, I agree with you. But think about it like this: If you are blue, you can get the angle to kill the glitcher without much problem, or even just by being faster. But if you are the red glitcher and you know what you're doing, you could be really, really hard to kill. Any new player in blue would have a terrible time, the glitcher would have a too great advantage.

Anyway, I know this doesn't answer you complaints/frustrations/desires, but I just wanted to try to show that it's not easy for admins to figure out how to run a server. We think about these decisions and what to allow and deny and then we try to balance things out so everyone can have a great time. But unfortunately we can never satisfy every single player.

Even so, I hope you keep playing and having fun on Eagle. See you there!
# 3
19 Mar 2017 13:55
First off: Tacs do NOT counter the water glitch. They work for neither water on water combat, nor land to water combat.

Secondly, i was not trying to suggest either FF or disabling tacs. I merely tried to point out those could potentially address the issue, but simply wont happen.

Additionally, a new playing running into the castle cable car glitch all the time? Im sorry, but there 4 ways out of village square, of which only 1 can be actually covered by the cable car glitch. Thats about it. Its basically your own fault if you run into it. The river however, is pretty much the entire center of the map. You HAVE to go through there, unless you want to camp in the castle or village.

What im actually arguing for is including water tacs in the list of forbidden glitches. Aka, you can report someone for it or an admin/mod/whatever can punish you for using it, the same way the castle cable car glitch is handled.
# 4
20 Mar 2017 15:34
Tacs are not a glitch. They are part of the gear selection. I do play on a server that disables Tacs and smoke. It's the server leaders choice. You either adapt or play elsewhere , simple... :)
# 5
22 Mar 2017 22:49
isn't there a version of eagle with transparent water, so you can see what's going on under its surface. playing this version would make the tac fish issue go away.
# 6
24 Mar 2017 15:36
Yep, Eagle_Extended _b6j .. I have played it. :P
# 7
24 Mar 2017 19:18

Tacs are not a glitch. They are part of the gear selection. I do play on a server that disables Tacs and smoke. It's the server leaders choice. You either adapt or play elsewhere , simple... :)

Oh sure. I never argued that tacs were the problem here though. While i personally dont like tacs (basically the thing you notice rather quickly is that "blind" people get a vision assistance from it), this isnt about tacs, but about an exploit they generate.

The point is that in combination with the water a one way glitch is created, because tacs will ONLY markup enemies out of water. Its the "intended" behaviour, sure. You could still call it "crappy design" if you will. Just like with the shoot through trains and bulletproof fence. This wouldnt be such an issue with transparent water.

The problem is that the "eagle_extended" maps, are also kind of BS. Biggest problem that DN would have is that the spawns are literally randomized across the entire red/blue side. In the most stupid way. Also it has fall damage disabled (inconsistently), which is a great drawback imo.
# 8
26 Mar 2017 21:18

The problem is that the "eagle_extended" maps, are also kind of BS. Biggest problem that DN would have is that the spawns are literally randomized across the entire red/blue side. In the most stupid way. Also it has fall damage disabled (inconsistently), which is a great drawback imo.

well, that's a pity...

# 9
31 Mar 2017 13:43 | Last edit: 31 Mar 2017 13:53
I would like bring to your attention: "MythBusters Episode 34: Bulletproof Water", in which they test travel length of bullets under water. The summary is as follows:
Hiding underwater can stop bullets from hitting you: partly confirmed
All supersonic bullets (up to .50-caliber) disintegrated in less than 3 feet (90 cm) of water, but slower velocity bullets, like pistol rounds, need up to 8 feet (2.4 m) of water to slow to non-lethal speeds. Shotgun slugs require even more depth (the exact depth couldn’t be determined because their one test broke the rig). However, as most water-bound shots are fired from an angle, less actual depth is needed to create the necessary separation.
Youtube of a test with 50 caliber sniper rifle
Discussion of the test
Translated back this means that shooting from an underwater position is very unrealistic.

So... I think this suggests a solution: automatically switch tac off when the player is under water.
I presume it should be a Uraban Terror programming request resulting in a server option:
tac usable under water: yes / no

Core
01 Apr 2017 20:14 | Last edit: 01 Apr 2017 20:18
I love my tacs.. :P I do turn them off at times underwater. You can actually see enemy better at closer ranges. Long range, they work great. You are always exposed crossing the bridges. The water is a dangerous place.. :) Anyway getting back to your question, i don't really care if the game is modified to eliminate tacs underwater. I'm not sure how you would modify the map to eliminate Tacs from activating underwater.