Community forums

Language specific forums

02 Oct 2015 14:03
IMHO
Communication is the most important thing in a clan. It's crucial that each member is able to communicate with everyone else.
That's why I oppose the idea to translate the website to multiple languages, we will attract people who don't speak english at all and are not able to communicate with the other members. Another problem is to keep all translations in sync. I honestly don't see the advantages of a multi language website.
Maybe we should even add a new requirement: Must be able to speak basic english.
02 Oct 2015 17:53
If we make this a multilingual site, then we would only translate it to languages we can support and action on the forums.

Adding forum categories where you are only allowed to speak a certain language could be good for the community as well. This may also help to grow the community and increase the user amount on the forums.

I am personally more in favour of language specific forum categories than a complete multilingual site.
02 Oct 2015 18:20
@Maz
I agree with that.
03 Oct 2015 14:26
We are a clan. Which is like a sports club in the real world. But this club has no locality, it's members are scattered all over the world. Instead of playing fields in real life, we have our virtual playing fields: the UrT servers. We play there and can chat there, we have referees (admins and moderators) there, to remind us of the rules. And we have our forum, which is like a clubhouse in real life.
The forum is there for all to get to know each other a bit better, to discuss serious and silly matters.
It helps to make us feel a group and forget that we are separated by distance and timezones.
With the above analogy I think that the clubhouse needs a single language, so we all understand what others think and feel. And no group is left out in a discussion.
And yes - I know it will be difficult sometimes if you do not speak English as your first or second language.
But we will read through that, and laugh , correct each other , but it is the intention that counts.

So keep a single language forum in English.
Use google translate if you must, even if we agree that the result is not perfect.
03 Oct 2015 16:59

We are a clan. Which is like a sports club in the real world. But this club has no locality, it's members are scattered all over the world. Instead of playing fields in real life, we have our virtual playing fields: the UrT servers. We play there and can chat there, we have referees (admins and moderators) there, to remind us of the rules. And we have our forum, which is like a clubhouse in real life.
The forum is there for all to get to know each other a bit better, to discuss serious and silly matters.
It helps to make us feel a group and forget that we are separated by distance and timezones.
With the above analogy I think that the clubhouse needs a single language, so we all understand what others think and feel. And no group is left out in a discussion.
And yes - I know it will be difficult sometimes if you do not speak English as your first or second language.
But we will read through that, and laugh , correct each other , but it is the intention that counts.

So keep a single language forum in English.
Use google translate if you must, even if we agree that the result is not perfect.

well said nice 1 :P
07 Oct 2015 18:41
I think it sends a message to all players that DN is inclusive and considerate.