Community forums

playstyle - stats grinding

# 1
22 Oct 2015 20:58 | Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 00:25
hello,

i've noticed that quite a few players (dn members as well) tend to a rather annoying way to play the game.
it's basically hard camping with heavy gear (combined with checking theirs stats constantly), they wait in spec to jon the dominante team in order to gain more kills.
i personally feel this slows down the game, actually disrupts it and above all is unsportsmanlike.
you got no rule against camping on your server which i think is fine.
but id like the game to be more open and dynamic.
the one way i could think of that would beat those cheap ass grinders, would be to take the time spent on the server into account for xlr stats.
i think qtracker works that way. the stupid grinding would come to an end cause those players would be forced to kill fast and not sit in their spot for ages in order to push their ratio.
if admins have to do admin work and are addicted to stats checking, they easily could switch to gtv.

let me know what you think,

karl
# 2
22 Oct 2015 22:45
Some of my thoughts about what you wrote:
- Providing examples would be nice so we all understand what is "hard camping" (use me if you like :P even if I don't check my stats in-game)
- I think we all have different opinions about what sportsmanship is, or if/how that concept could/should be taken into account in UrT
- xlrstats work in weird ways sometimes, but I find that qtracker is not very good at keeping/rendering stats either
- A lot of players (again, use me for example :P ) like to play only in one side, be it red or blue, hence the waiting in spec. I truly think joining the winning team has nothing to do with their waiting
- As for disruption, to me there is no bigger disruption than all the rushers who come into the castle and kill me from behind (massive unsportmanship this ;) ) and the buggers keep coming and coming and coming... :(

Also, even if it's TDM, we can all agree most of the players don't really care about who's winning. They connect, play for some time and disconnect. Most don't even glance a the overall score, just their's.

Personally, in TDM I play for both ratio and skill. Other modes, other objectives (surviving, caps, etc.). Most of all, I just have fun.

Anyway, I will like to see what everyone thinks.

See you on Eagle's Nest.
# 3
23 Oct 2015 00:24
hey mercer,

yeah, i think what you do most of the time qualifies as hard camping. other than that i am not going to start finger-pointing.
it's not a matter of who is doing it, the only thing that matters is that it is actually happening.
my suggestion to factor in time spent on the server would not prevent people from grinding but would force them to change their way to play that game. camping would not pay off anymore.
they would have to be more active to prevail.
people usually hate underwater tac-goggle noobs, those guys are grinding. the players i am referring to are basically doing the same thing.

karl
# 4
23 Oct 2015 02:56
Hi there,

I do understand where you are coming from. I too have criticized the gameplay on Eagle for many a year. However, we just have to face the fact that Eagle is one of the maps that is somewhat built for each gamestyle.

Red Spawn, Cable cars at castle, boathouse and train are the most suited places for camping, sadly.. and those are also the only ways to the middle of the map as well as to the other side. The evolution of the urban terror gameplay has gone into slow-motion. I'll give you an example. I left the game when DN was shut down last time in 2012(?), only to come back again when the clan was re-launched to find that the same players who were camping 2-3 years ago are still doing it in the same very places.

I too would want a more dynamic gameplay, but the fact is that you need those campers. Are the campers doing what they are supposed to be doing? Well, that is a whole other question.

I have also found that it doesn't matter whether there are 2 or 32 players on the map, if at least one is a camper then they will be camping...

So all in all, pitch a tent, light a fire and eat some marshmellows. :P
# 5
23 Oct 2015 04:28 | Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 04:37
i am not just complaining about camping here.
if you want to feel like a sniper on the movie set of "where eagles dare" then camping is just the way to go.
i am complaining about people who change their playingstyle just to boost their ratio. if rushing would get them more kills, they'd do it. if that was the case we would not have the current discussion cause they would play the game and not break it.
that's why i am proposing to make time a factor since it would only hurt the grinders.
if you wanted to play camper/sniper then you still could do it, taken it's your way to play and you are not doing it for the stats.
those who are only playing to see their name on top of some random list would have to find new strategies to get their kick but at least they would not slow down the game for all the others or tempt others to do the same.
on a more practical level : could you make time a factor in your current xlrsystem?
i'd just love to see, what happened if took that "glitch" away from them.
# 6
23 Oct 2015 07:38
i never join a team for the dominant but because in that team are people i like to play with
and camping is maybe can do for 2 min and then get borred
# 7
23 Oct 2015 09:52
hi there :)
i think we should all play like we want, just we have fun and obey the rules, i always use autojoin unlees i chose the non leading team if its to hard for them, then i most play in the bridge side, sometimes also in castle or train side, i use almost always deagle, spas and sr8 i both rush and camp, it depends on what i feel like :P score im not care so much about i hang out in spec to sometimes but thats for smoke or do admin stuff :P
# 8
23 Oct 2015 15:56 | Last edit: 23 Oct 2015 16:00
I think keeping DN Eagle as a top ranked server is a priority. Currently, DN Eagle is Number 5 on GameTracker. Stop sniping, or as Karl sees it “camping” and the server will be Number 105.

Since Mercer has been singled out as a camper then I too am a camper. I will point out, I never check stats while in the game and I do not really care if others do. I play by the rules and always autojoin.

I would be in favor of allowing shooting behind the bullet proof glass and to allow spawn killing. To much time is spent warning, etc. If they are allowed I would be ready for them.

Karl, you are a top notch player, you just want more things in your favor.
# 9
23 Oct 2015 17:49
gee, guys. do read my comments carefully.
i have explicitly stated that camping is not the issue, it's what people make it into, when they turn it into a grinding strategy.
camp as much as you want just prohibit camping from being efficient for stat grinders.
i can't express it more clearly.
the server rank would not be effected, since camping still would be possible.
i hope you get what i am saying now.
23 Oct 2015 18:58
do you mean that you hate the fact campers get good stats by camping and have no risk to die and kill a lot?
but my opinoin is that campers can but they should be tested on other tactics to when they applicate for dn