Community forums

Answer to KarlMariaSeeberg

This topic has been locked.
# 1
25 Mar 2016 19:57 | Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 19:58

19 Mar 2016 19:06 Last Edit: 19 Mar 2016 19:08 by karlmariaseeberg. #9
It's interesting that nobody replied to that second last comment. I 'll take the bait since i feel this guy must not have the last word here.
(Wow my comment got preempted by cthulhu's:)

This guy got an interesting approach to defending his actions but obviously his line of argument does not hold up, if you think it through.
He does not discuss the whole situation, instead he seems to be doing something that's usually considered thoughtful and considered. He seems to be going into detail. He's picking out single words to explain their meaning or in his case multiple meanings.
Pulling words out of context and simply defending the potential meaning of those words is deceiving, cause he appears to be defending himself, when he's actually not talking about his actions. He's explaining how language works but while doing so leaves out the importance of context.
So lets pull back and take a look the situation that happend on a gaming server, in an online shooter, at a certain date during a peroid of time. If we do so, we'll end up at hackmac's post and the chatlog he added. That's what we are dealing with here, not single words floating in a vacuum.
And since we are talking context we encounter another deceiving strategy this guy's using. He's insinuating that for some reason he has the power to decide how the words he chose ought to be understood. That's presumptuous and only works if you are talking to yourself, taken you are on your own. If there are other people around you don't get to control the meaning of your words just by pure will. If you open your mouth and speak, you have to anticipate what the words you are using mean or can potentially mean in the context you are using them in. So language got a life of its own. Funny enough, this guy is referring to this fact by claiming words got multiple meanings , when at the same time denies it by saying it's his decision how his words were meant.
People usually resort back to "it was not meant that way" when they said something insulting, the damage was done and they feel sorry and are trying to apologise for their actions. As most of us probably know,the pain words can cause won't vanish even if you got an apology. This proves you don't get words to bend to your will, even considerably less in retrospect.
The sad thing is that this guy obviously understands how language can work, so he understands perfectly what he did, said and meant but he still decided to do it and he's even defending it. This makes his actions even worse.
What he's doing with his last comment is simply looking for loopholes, that allow him not to take responsibilty for his bullshit.
His insult to black people - nicely wrapped in a question - proves exactly that. It's an insult in disguise.

Let me end this wall of text by saying that i depise this kind of behavior.
I would not warn that guy, i'd ban him on a regular basis.

I suggest this thread is closed to avoid more trolling and provocative remarks by this guy.

Dear KarlMariaSeedberg, I have read your answer to my second comment on the topic "Admin Abuse", where I defend myself from accusations of racism made by administrator "hackmac". Here is my response to it:

1.You claim I don't discuss the whole situation. Could You please tell me which part of the situation do I ignore?

It's interesting that nobody replied to that second last comment. I 'll take the bait since i feel this guy must not have the last word here.

Given this cite, I think you are committing the same mistake you are criticizing, as You only focus on the second comment and ignore others comments. And, especially, You ignore some very important parts of it. I will comment on it later.

2.You talk about the way I appeal to polysemia to defend myself and You say You see some kind of contradiction here, where in fact there is no contradiction. I am not responsible of anyone's will to find negative meanings of words, and the argument was actually a way to say "I didn't mean that", from a logical perspective.

3. Likewise, You say that context should be considered. If You could read the conversation, You would see that there is no context. And as I have explained, the words were neutral (i.e. “I didn't mean that”). It just was intended to be a rhyme. Again, you are committing the mistake that You criticize: have You considered the fact that I was given a warning for racism after asking "Who is Jew?" and after saying "Jews are smart"; Can You please tell me how could this be interpreted as racist whatever was the context?; How Could I be racist when I said via chat many times that I supporter US Democratic Party presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, who is in fact Jewish?

4. The post was intended to complain about the abuse of an administrator (I hope You will agree with me after reading this comment). If You have read all the comments You must remember that I said that You should judge the situation disregarding my possible past rule Breaches, as the contrary would be an example of Ad Hominem fallacy (Which consists in judging a person's arguments attacking him, and not focusing in the argument itself, the validity of which is independent of the person). Therefore, I cannot understand why did You cite a comment made by me including the word "n*gger" (which was made in a neutral context and as it is a neutral word (even black people call each other "n*gger" in a friendly way)), and after the topic was even created.

5. According to You, I should apologize for the words I used, despite there is no way it could have hurt the administrator "hackmac": First, because they were neutral; and second, because he is not jewish. It is in fact "Hackmac" who should apologize for insinuating that I am a racist, as it is an affront.

6. To finish, I think that You are somehow biased towards some of the administrators here, or against me (I understand that it is sometimes hard to separate logic from feelings). Though this last possibility would be harder to understand because I have never done nothing in order to deserve it, as far as I know. If it was the case, please, send me a private message and we will discuss it. I am always willing to resolve conflicts in a civilized way.

Thank You for your comment anyway.
# 2
26 Mar 2016 03:37 | Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 05:19
When a topic has been locked it means a forum moderator or admin has felt that the topic has reached its max climax and nothing good can come out of it from there on. When this has happened there is no need to start another thread about the same topic that has already been locked.

----

I was originally gonna post something in the original topic as well, but it was locked before I could get the chance. So I'm just gonna say it here instead.

I have been an in-game moderator for the past 10 years, so this isn't some bullshit opinion. During the years I have seen some questionable stuff that I still have taken an action against. And it has turned out that the action has been correct.

Hackmac took care of your case the exact same way I would have done. There is no reason to action on a word-by-word basis, so we have to take context into matter. And this is exactly what Hackmac has done. Single words really do not have any meaning at all, but when they are used in a context... like in your case... it is then they start to mean something more.

Even on the internet, there are some words and phrases that cannot and should not be used. This, because you never know who is on the other side of that other screen. It is easy to come say afterwards after a racist comment, "I didn't mean that"... or "it wasn't me who did that" etc.. You stand by your actions even on the interwebz.

Even though the comments you made probably didn't hurt Hackmac in any way. I also do not care if you meant them in a neutral way. But to my best knowledge, Hack, based his actions on protecting the other players on the server as well as preventing a potential outcome of a racist conversation. Which is what I also would have done.

---

After this being said, I hope you do not recreate this topic, but if you have any more questions or really want to show us you have words. The best words. And can use those words. You are always free to make use of the pm system we have in place here on the site.

That said. Hope you enjoy the server and keep that filter on. By playing there and using our forums you agree to follow our rules.